Thursday, March 20, 2008

Ups and Downs

Yesterday was one of those days that you just keep moving and pray for the end.

She had a good night on Tuesday (for the most part), and the morning time was good. We had a visit from Dave Shaner (minister at Bellevue) and Jeb Bristow-Hanna (youth minister at Bellevue) in the early afternoon. Grandma was happy to see and talk with them. They had to wait in the dining room for a little bit while the nurse from the hospital got Grandma hooked up with the morphine drip that goes directly into her port (she can control her own pain meds, when she needs them). It runs continuously, and then she can hit it every 15 minutes if need be.
After Dave and Jeb left, we had a couple hours before our family friends got her from southern California. They have been long time friends of my grandparents, from when my grandparents lived in Lonpoc. They stayed the day (and night) with us.

About 6 in the evening she got the shakes again, which meant her fever was coming back up. Grandpa had covered her (she hates being cold), then I went in to check on her. She was doing the whole "I need to barf" thing again...but didn't. I just stayed there for about 10 minutes until she felt alright, then I checked her temperature (101.4) and then checked her medicine chart for when the last dose of Tylenol was given her. It was time for it, so I gave her that. I moved down the sidebars on her bed and wrapped my arm around her so that I could tell when she stopped shaking. I checked her temperature about every 30 mins. to see how it was declining or progressing. About 6:30 mom started singing with Andy (my uncle), and then everyone who was in the dining room came in...we sang for about 15 minutes. Then I checked Grandma's temperature again (she was really hot) and it was at 103.7. Far too high for her. So, I told mom and we hopped into action, trying to bring it down. I had grandpa call her doctor, but he couldn't get a hold of him...so I had him call 911. They sent someone out, they took her vitals and stuff... but the only thing they could have done was take her to the hospital. Even in her half "awake" state she said "no". I didn't mean for them to take her either, and I told them that...so they left. We finally got a hold of a nurse who told us to alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 2 hours and put ice under her arms and stuff...so we did that. It took us about an hour to get it down to 101 again. It was really scary for me. Once she was out of "danger", I sat on her bed (she wanted to hold my hand) and tears streamed own my face. Mom came over and hugged me.

She had a better night. She actually sat up and talked with everyone until my uncles and his wife left. My aunt Lani stayed the night, in case I needed her help with Grandma. It was a rough night for me...up every 2 hours to give her meds. but she did really well sleeping, and I was thankful for that. Grandpa slept excellent last night (only once he get up, and he didn't even remember that)...and that is the whole reason why I'm sleeping in the living room! That makes me feel successful and truly thank the Lord that I am here. Grandpa has needed that sleep!
So far today, things are good.

Thanks for the continued prayers. Know that your love and thoughtfulness means so much to all of us. Grandpa was actually sitting by grandma this morning (around 8) and talking to me about how he's always appreciated God's people and the churches that he's been a part of...how they have come through when he's in need. It brought tears to his eyes.
Just know that your love is touching our hearts!

No comments: