Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Through the Night

Every day is filled with new adventures
...(some of them you don't really want to experience).

Yesterday was a good day for most of us. My Aunt Lani comes over every morning around 10 and stays until about noon...so we saw her. After that I stayed and watched over Grandma while she slept, so that Grandpa could sleep (because he had been up from 2-5 with Grandma that night--to and from the bathroom). Later in the day, my sisters and I took our dog (Jena) to Seward Park and walked around the 3 mile loop. It was a beautiful day, and Lake Washington was simply gorgeous! We stopped about half way around and threw rocks into the lake...seeing who could throw the furthest. It was a nice diversion for a while. We laughed a lot yesterday too, and I know all of us needed that. My sisters are hilarious! :)

Mom made lamb for Grandma in the afternoon, along with rice and mixed vegitables. Grandma has been wanting lamb for a while, and she just ate it up. She hasn't been eating much at all, so that was a good moment. She wanted me to eat lamb with her and remember Jesus (the Lamb, who takes away the sin of the world)...so Grandpa and I did just that.

Evenings seem to be the worst for Grandma. Around 7pm her fever came back up and even with tylenol she'll shake for about 30 minutes. She wanted mom to come and hold her hand until the shakes went away...so mom did that. Grandma just cried and cried, swimpered really...like a little child. I snuggled up to mom and held her while she held Grandma...and Grandma rambled things like, "I'm sorry I won't be able to be here to love you" (talking to mom). Mom could bearly handle it, this whole thing has been so tough on her...so she turned her head and placed it within the crevis of my neck and shed a few tears. If I was my mom, I would be crying more than she is, but it's hard for her to cry anyway. It was one of those moments you are just "in", but don't want to be.

Last night I told Grandpa that I would sleep out in the livingroom with Grandma, so that she would have someone to help walk her to the bathroom in the middle of the night (so that he could sleep). So, that's just what I did. We placed the 2 big chairs together with the ottoman in the middle, blankets and pillows, and "Voila!" a bed! :) Grandma woke up around 3 with a 100.9 fever (and she needed to go to the bathroom). Before I could get up, Grandpa was out there...so the two of us took her. After getting her back to bed, and gettng some tylenol in her and her anti-nausia/anxiety pill, I stayed up and sat with her for about 30 minutes. I had just gotten back in bed when she needed to go to the bathroom again, so I got her up and we walked. Grandpa came out to see if he could be of any help. After I brought her back to bed, I went into the kitchen to see what Grandpa was going (he gets in this mode of "doing", no matter what time of the day or night it is). I hugged him and said, "Grandpa, I'm sleeping in the livingroom for a reason...you should go back to bed." So, he did. I was glad, because he got a much better nights sleep last night. So, I will be doing that again tonight...because it seems to work for everyone involved. I can always take a nap, but he can't go all night and all day too.

This morning I woke up to Grandpa around 7am, and that was about the time when Grandma needed her tylenol and pill again. I went back to sleep for another hour or so after we got her comfortable again, and Grandpa headed off with a friend to the V.A. (vets. assoc.) to take care of something. Once Lani got here at 10, then mom woke up. Around 11 she called for Grandpa (while I was online) and so I went to see what she needed (he was on the phone). She needed a "barf bucket", so I pulled it over for her and she threw up. I think most of it was blood and water, which was sad...but is going to be part of the whole process (internal bleeding). The nurse is here right now to hook her up to a IV that will allow her to control her own flow of morphine.
So, that's the scoop of the last day.

Thank you for all your prayers!!! Know that they are a blessing to my family, and to myself.
I love you all.

No comments: