Friday, March 28, 2008

Flying to Jesus...Janie gets her garage!

I don't know how to feel or what to say. I "know" a lot, yet words don't seem as comforting as a simple embrace right now...

Grandma asked us to move her yesterday afternoon (around 3pm), to make her more comfortable. That was the last time she spoke or opened her eyes. She laid like that for 6 hours, breathing slowly and lying so still and peaceful. Lani wouldn't leave her side, but just held her hand, faithfully. We all took turns holding her hand, her hand that wouldn't squeeze back...and we watched her breathe, kissed her gently, and told her that we "love her".

While we were getting ready for bed, and the house was quiet, Grandma went Home...while Lani held her hand. I had been in the kitchen talking with Jenny...when I came back in the room Lani whispered to me, "Grandma's gone." It was almost like I couldn't hear her, because I asked her to repeat it like two more times before I finally got what she was telling me. But when those words entered my ears, I went over to Lani and hugged her. I just held her for a while. She whispered, "I promised her in the hospital that I wouldn't let her die alone." She had fulfilled that promise. Grandma died around 12:30am.

I went and told everyone else. When I woke up Grandpa, his first words were, "Thanks you, Father." He hugged me for about 2 minutes, then got up and we started to figure out what we needed to do and who we needed to call. Mom and Lani were just so torn up. I have never seen my mother cry so hard, or be so heartbroken. They just sat by Grandma and cried and cried. Mom couldn't believe she was gone, and kept saying through tears, "I want more time with her." We waited up for the nurse to come unhook her, and then we waited until the people from the funeral home to come get her body at 6am. I went upstairs before that time, because I really didn't want to be around when that happened. I had helped "settle" the household somewhat, and I helped Lani prepare Grandma's body with the clothes we wanted her to be buried in....and then I went up stairs and went to sleep. I was so wiped out in every way. Mama came up to snuggle with me later. I woke up about 9:30am, after mom got up to go down stairs. A new day had begun...but much different than the day before.

Grandma wanted to be buried 24hours after she died. So, that should be today some time. I don't know if they will get it that, since we are up against a weekend. So, it might be Monday. Grandpa keeps trying to explain to me that we can go see where Grandma is buried later... but I think at least Jenny and Mom want to be there when she is actually buried. I will be making arrangements for Grandma's memorial service today and tomorrow. Because, as far as I know, with scheduling and time restraints, that will probably happen on Sunday afternoon.

Thank you to everyone who has loved us these last few weeks, who have come to see us and hug us, who have brought food and flowers, who have sent cards, and who have prayed. Please continue to as you see fit. We are praising God that she is with Him...but we hurt that she's no here...and that's just the way it is. Love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep the faith, Jessica. When I lost my mother the song that brought me the most peace is "Because He Lives"...and it is so very true, that because HE lives, you CAN face tomorrow. When you truly understand that, you know that you are NOT alone and that HE is in control. That just seems to make it better. My heart goes out to your family as you go through this time, and my prayers are with you.

Love,
Marilena

Anonymous said...

All my love and prayers are with you and your family. Your dear grandma finally is in a place of no pain and no tears. She has received her reward but those left behind must grieve amid such joy knowing that she is home with Jesus. Let your tears fall dear little fry, and know that you are not alone.

All for Him who gives us ALL,
Momma Turtle